QuickBooks error 15270: The (payroll) update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file. The error message clearly states the reason behind this error. When users download selected updates for payroll or manually download and transfer the update to their system, they are at higher risk of encountering this error. That’s why we recommend that you always download the entire payroll update so that you have access to the latest tax tables without the errors that selectively downloading the updates can cause.
In addition to specific updates, subscription expiry can also cause the QuickBooks update error 15270. Users should always verify their payroll service status after a fixed period of time to ensure that they’re still connected to the service. In some cases, the files containing the verification may be lost, requiring users to once again verify the status of their subscription. Further, users can rely on utilities such as the tool hub to fix this error.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix QuickBooks error 15270.
What is QuickBooks Payroll Error 15270 & How to Fix It?
QuickBooks Payroll Error 15270 is related to the payroll function of your QuickBooks and crops up at the time of updating and downloading payroll. This error stops you from downloading the payroll updates released by Intuit to further enhancing of the user experience.
Intuit releases updates for its software on regular basis in order to resolve and fix bugs as well as errors that might crop in a version. The problem comes when these updates don’t get downloaded. The error code 15270 crops up with a message when the updates do not get downloaded. The message is enumerated below:
“Error 15270: The payroll update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file.”
About QuickBooks Payroll Error 15270
|Error Code:||Error 15270:||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Error 15270: The (payroll) update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file.||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||Network connectivity issue, The installation of QuickBooks is not done properly||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptom:||windows crashes, Sometimes it also crashes||Possible Solution:||Update The QuickBooks Payroll Manually, Clean Installation Of QB Desktop|
Symptoms of the QB Payroll Error 15270
There are some symptoms through which you can easily identify this error. Some of them are given below.
- All running/active windows crashes on your computer
- Sometimes it also crashes a computer and shows the error 15270
Causes Behind the QuickBooks error 15270?
- User Account Control is enabled which may interfere with QuickBooks updating
- Internet Explorer is not set as the default browser
- The files of the QuickBooks are corrupted or damaged
- The installation of QuickBooks is not done properly
- Network connectivity issue
- Session time out while doing some work through the server
- QuickBooks is out-dated
- Check the payroll subscription
- Slow internet connection
- Also, verify the identification number on your payroll is correct.
How to avoid the QuickBooks Error 15270
There are many ways through which you can avoid this error. Let’s quickly check out these points.
- Update the program by downloading the updated file and installing the same file, once the update is done click on the update complete button.
- After the update, you also need to restart the QuickBooks application so that changes can be implemented.
- After rebooting the system to handle the payroll update related to file bugs, the user can go to the Installer tab through QuickBooks update service Window.
- Make sure to buy the original and updated QuickBooks software
Methods to sort out the QuickBooks Payroll Error 15270
You can follow the below various methods to sort out the QB Error 15270.
1. Method One: Steps To Update The QuickBooks Payroll Manually
- First, restart the QuickBooks
- Once you restart the QuickBooks you can see the “ QuickBooks Update Service “ windows arise automatically.
- Click the “install later “ option
- Now go to the Help menu available >>> click “ Update QuickBooks”
- Click on the “ Update Now” option
- You have to click the “Reset Updates” option >>> click the “Get Updates” option
- Finally, click “Ok”
- Get Update” option will be enabled once the update will be done
- Once you see the message “Update Complete” you need to restart the QuickBooks application once again.
- After restarting the QB if still, if you see the message “ QuickBooks Update Service”, select the “Install Now” option.
- Go to the “Employee” menu >>> Get Payroll Updates option
- Click “Download entire payroll update “ and after that install the payroll update
- Finally, click the “Update” button
2. Method Two: Steps For Installing The QuickBooks Desktop In Selective Start-Up
- Before proceeding with the steps verify that the subscription still exists.
- Now if you have either Standard, Basic, or enhanced Payroll application, go to Employees menu >>> My Payroll Service >>> Account/Billing Information or Account Info/Preferences files.
- Get in signed to the “QuickBooks “ account and check the page “QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance” and its activity.
- Check if the Internet Explorer is configured as the default browser
- Go to control panel >>> Change user Account Control Settings >>> and turn off the UAC for the moment.
- In program and features go to the installed program list
- Locate the QuickBooks option click it and after that click on Uninstall/Change option
- After clicking the Uninstall/Change You can see the option Repair now
- Click the Repair option >>> click next
- Now press Windows + R keys together and open the Run window
- Type misconfig to get the System configuration utility window
- In that window select the option “selective start-up” tab to do the clean installation.
3. Method Three: Steps To Run Reboot.Bat File
- If QuickBooks Desktop is running first you have to close it
- Get the folder and open it which is having a “Reboot.bat file”.
- To get that folder follow the below steps
- Right-click on the QB icon
- Select Properties
- Click on Open file location
- Now after getting the reboot.bat file right click it >>> select the option “Run as administrator”
- A command prompt window appears on your computer screen by scrolling the file name
- Once the cmd window closes or the process of scrolling data completes, restart your computer
4. Method Four: Clean Installation Of QB Desktop
- If by chance, the above method does not work, try a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop, it might work.
- Download the QuickBooks Clean install tool and run it as per the instructions coming on the screen
- After running the Clean Install tool you need to rename the installation folder and after that just reinstall the QuickBooks.
5. Method Five: Improper Identification Number
- Using the Wrong identification number is also a big cause of QuickBooks Error 15270
- You need to make sure that the employee identification number should be correct.
6. Method Six: Choose Internet Explorer As The Default Tab
For QuickBooks, it is always advised that Internet Explorer should be the default app.
- Go to the Start button and in the search bar type the “App Defaults”
- Search the web browser option under that select Internet Explorer and set it as the default app
7. Method Seven: Steps For The Installation Of QuickBooks Tool Hub
QB tool hub is also very useful to wipe out the QuickBooks Error 15270. You can follow the below steps to download and install the QB tool hub.
- If the QuickBooks program is running close it
- Download the QuickBooks tool hub exe file on your system
- Open the file and get it installed following the step by step instructions coming on the screen
- Agree on the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation is done, run the program and it will fix the QuickBooks error 15270 accordingly.
8. Method Eight: Check The Subscription Of Software
- Ensure the Subscription of your Software is active:
- For Basic, Standard, and Enhanced Payroll Software – Go to the Employees tab and then to My Payroll Service. From this choose the Account/Billing Information option. Sign up and log in to your personal account with Intuit and open QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance screen to check whether the subscription is active or not.
- For Assisted Payroll Software – Select the Employees tab and then choose My Payroll Services followed by Account Info / Preferences. Now after opening the QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance screen, close it instantly which will prompt the software to update and to again validate the payroll services.
- Make sure that Internet Explorer is your default browser. If not, you can set it as default by going to the menu labeled Internet Options and clicking on the Program option. Now click on the Make Default tab found under the Default Web Browser option.
- For Windows 8, 7, and Vista users, for a short period of time turn your User Account Controls option off.
- Go for proper and full clean-up of QuickBooks installed in a selective startup option.
QuickBooks error 15270 is related to payroll update. When the payroll update isn’t downloaded completely or the update file is corrupt, you’ll encounter this error. Users may need to verify the active status of their payroll subscription once again if a particular program file related to the software is damaged. The post above contains detailed step-by-step solutions for all the issues that can cause QuickBooks 15xxx errors.
Need Professional Help?
What are the symptoms?
💠The problem of crashing a system happens often
💠In your system, all the active programs crashed.
Is QuickBooks Tool Hub can be used to resolve the issue?
Yes, it can be done easily with the help of the tool.
You just have to follow the steps below:-
💠Download and install the QuickBooks Tools hub
💠Then run it in your system
💠Now start the scan
💠After a successful scan, it shows you the list of errors if there are any
💠Then you have to click on the Fix Now option to fix the errors you get.
What to do if the reboot.bat file is the reason for QuickBooks error 15270?
You have to run the reboot.bat file in your system and the steps are as follows:-
💠Firstly, close the QuickBooks desktop and all other programs that are running
💠Now search for the reboot.bat file in your system
—🔵For this, right-click on the QuickBooks software icon
—🔵From the options, click on the Properties
💠Then select the open file location
💠After that, right-click on the file reboot.bat
💠Click on the Run as Administrator
💠A black colored window opens up and you have to manually close this window
💠In the end, restart your system