You can pay employees by direct deposit the same day or the next day, and you can even print paper checks using your own printer with QuickBooks Payroll. To print payroll checks, you’ll need to buy the right check stock, set your printer to print everything straight, and process payroll for at least one employee. You can simply print paychecks and pay stubs while processing payroll. The complete steps will be discussed in the below write-up. Stay tuned with this write-up till the end.
Step by step instructions to print the payroll checks in QuickBooks Online
Carry out the steps to print payroll checks in QBO very carefully:
Step 1: Purchase Check Stock
You can print checks on blank paper or with pre-printed checks using QuickBooks Online Payroll. According to QuickBooks, third-party checks are not printed. Its online payroll system only accepts two types of paychecks:
- Voucher checks and single pay stubs for each employee.
- Pay stubs for both your employee and yourself are included with voucher checks.
You can buy checks directly from QuickBooks. It comes in three different styles, each with varying amounts of anti-counterfeiting features such as watermarks.
Step 2: Check that employees are in the system
Before you can print a paycheck, you must first set up your payroll. When you first add your employees, you’ll be offered the choice of paying them in one of two ways. If you opt for paper checks, the system will generate a paycheck for you to print when you’re ready.
Important Note: QuickBooks can only print checks and pay stubs for employees that get checks and direct deposit, respectively.
Step 3: Set up Check Printing
It’s a good idea to run a sample before completing a full paycheck run to ensure you have the correct settings and everything is in order.
- Go to the Settings >>> select the Payroll Settings
- Under the Printing, you can see the current setting
- If you find it’s incorrect then simply click the pencil icon to edit it
- Now, you can print on the blank paper or QuickBooks pre-printed check stock
- If you’re using blank paper then click on the Save button in order to save the made changes
- If you’re using pre-printed checks then it’ll ask whether you want to print one stub or two stub
- Choose as per choice and then click on the “Save” button
- You should double-check the alignment if you’re utilizing pre-printed checks. When you switch to a new browser or application, double-check the alignment. To set alignment, you’ll use blank paper and a blank check
- And then click on the Align check
- The instructions are displayed in a side window. They’re straightforward and self-explanatory. After manually confirming the alignment, run a payroll using a blank check to make sure everything is in order. To close the side window, click Save after you’re finished
- The last instructions for aligning payroll checks in QuickBooks: To save all changes and depart, click “Done” in the lower right corner of the screen.
Step 4: Load your Checks or Paper in the Printer
Make sure that the checks are put or facing the correct direction
Step 5: Run the Payroll
- Initially, go to the “Payroll” dashboard and then click “Run payroll” which is located in the right-hand side corner of your screen
- Next, enter the actual hours within the “Regular Pay Hrs” column which worked for all hourly employees
- And then review other information to ensure reliability
- After done with that then select the button “Preview Payroll” which is located in the button right corner
- At last, review and edit the payroll details before finalizing it
- Check the payment method to confirm that employees who should be paid by direct deposits and paychecks show up correctly, apart from the total hours worked and other pay details
- Also, double-check the tax amounts for both the employer and the employee
- When you’re sure everything is correct or in order, click the “Submit Payroll” button in the bottom right corner of the screen
- Now, you are all set to print payroll checks and/or direct deposit remittance advice for employees to distribute.
Step 6: Print the checks
- You should be able to perform payroll from the Overview tab in Payroll, or from the shortcut list
- Select View Paycheck List from the drop-down menu
- Choose the check names you’d want to print
- Then press the Print button
- The checks will appear in PDF format in a new window
- Check that the information is correct, then choose Print from your browser’s menu (it is usually located in the upper right corner).
Printing payroll checks for QuickBooks Online Payroll (All other Versions)
You can perform the below-provided steps to set up the printing preferences of a paycheck with QuickBooks Online Payroll Core, Premium, Full Service, and Elite:
Step 1: Set up Paycheck Printing Preferences
- Initially, go to the Settings and then find the Payroll Settings
- Click “Edit” under the Printing section
- After that, move to the Preprinted QuickBooks compatible check paper
- Now, click on the Print 1 pay stub or Print 2 pay stubs
- At last, click the “Save” followed by the “Done” tab.
Step 2: Print the Paychecks
- In the beginning, find the Worker or Payroll menu and then hit “Employees”
- Next, click the “Paycheck List” under the “My Payroll” section
- And finally, click on the paychecks that you want to print and then hit the “Print” button.
Users of QuickBooks Online who require a payroll solution do not need to look for another software provider. In QuickBooks Online, you can effortlessly set up payroll and gain access to full-service pay processing solutions, including health insurance and benefit options for your employees.