What is Quickbooks Error 15204 & How to Fix it?
QuickBooks Error 15204 is a result of improper download and installation of QuickBooks and payroll updates. This error stops the user from installing the imperative updates for the Payroll system and QuickBooks software.
The updates are the way through which Intuit accords QuickBooks and Payroll users with resolutions and fixes for the errors and bugs recurring with the current version of the software available in the market. The point to be kept in mind is to download these updates within the specified period mentioned with these updates.
The QuickBooks error 15204 and other mentioned error codes crop up when downloading the payroll or QuickBooks updates process is going on.
About Quickbooks Payroll Update Error 15204
|Error Code:||Error 15204||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Improper download and installation of QuickBooks and payroll updates||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||Restricted disc space on a hard disk, shared download is turned off||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptom:||Program window crashes, Windows runs slow and reacts gradually to the keyboard and mouse inputs.||Possible Solution:||Installation Of Certificate For Digital Signature, Firewall, And Security Software|
Some of the error codes with similar reasons are:
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error 15204
- Restricted disc space on a hard disk or at a remote download area may also prompt QuickBooks Error 15212.
- The download area which is shared for updates is associated with the drive which is presently inaccessible.
- If the shared download is turned off and the information file is being opened from any non-planned area.
Before going forward with the resolution, the user must verify the following key points:
- QuickBooks Payroll has an active subscription.
- The user has an active and stable connection to the Internet.
- Full accessibility to secured websites.
Best Way to Fix QuickBooks Error 15204
There are several resolutions for Error Code 15204 listed below. It is recommended to follow each resolution in the sequence it is mentioned below and also try to download updates after every solution process so that not all methods have to be followed.
1. Method One: Installation Of Certificate For Digital Signature
- Go to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks to search the Windows for QBW32.exe.
- Now right click the mouse on QBW32.exe and then click on properties.
- Under this locate Digital Signature option, click on it while ensuring that Intuit, Inc. option is selected under this list.
- Select the Details option.
- In the new screen named Digital Signature Details, select the View Certificate option.
- This shall open the Certificate screen wherein you will be needed to select the Install Certificate option.
- Now keep selecting the Next tab till you reach the Finish option. Now click on the Finish tab.
- Restart your computer system and then open QuickBooks software.
- Now again try to download updates again.
2. Method Two: Internet Connection And QuickBooks Settings
If the above resolution doesn’t work, then the next step is to verify that the Internet connection is stable for a swift and noninterfering way of downloading the required updates. The compatibility of the QuickBooks software via the settings set for the software as well as the Internet is secured.
3. Method Three: Firewall And Security Software
Ensure that the restrictions and personal settings of the Firewall along with security software are not stopping the updates from getting downloaded and installed.
4. Method Four: Microsoft Cryptographic Services
These services can get corrupted or damaged which end up causing Error Code 15204. To resolve it, the user can try a tool easily found on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798.
5. Method Five: Safe Mode
Try to resolve the error by starting up the QuickBooks software in safe mode.
Need Professional Help?
Does downloading the update in safe mode resolve the QuickBooks error 15204?
Yes, it can resolve the QuickBooks error 15204 as it happens when the payroll update won’t complete properly. So when you complete the update in safe mode then you won’t get this error. To do this you have to open your computer in Safe mode then update the QuickBooks payroll and then switch to the Normal mode again.
Can I do the clean install to fix QuickBooks error 15204 when something else won’t work for me?
Yes, you can perform a clean install of the software and the steps are:-
1. Before clean install, uninstall your QuickBooks desktop properly
2. After that, again download and then install the QuickBooks Clean install tool in your system
3. Now go to the QuickBooks folder and then rename the files manually
4. Again install the QuickBooks Desktop software on your computer
5. It automatically creates the QuickBooks folder freshly that won’t have any issues and resolves QuickBooks error 15204 in your account.
Is there any way to set the Internet Explorer configuration that fixes the QuickBooks error 15204?
Yes, these are the steps to fix QuickBooks error 15204 by configuring the Internet Explorer settings:-
1. Open the Internet Explorer on your computer
2. Click on the Gear icon that is on the top right side of the browser window
3. Select the Internet Options
4. Click on the tab named Security
5. Now go to the Trusted sites field
6. Click on the Site and then add the sites that you want to add as the trusted sites.